ADHD Expert-How do you know when you need one?


Here are four warning signs that you need an ADHD expert to evaluate your child’s behavior.

Doctors who treat ADHD are just like any other medical specialist; they often have very differing opinions as compared to other doctors and healthcare professionals.

I’ve been in medical conferences with as many as 300 other doctors when 7 medical school professors on a question and answer panel couldn’t agree on the best way to treat pneumonia, much less evaluate and treat as complex a problem as ADHD.

Why? Because not every doctor has the training or abilities necessary to successfully evaluate and treat ADHD and behavior disorders.

So how do you know when you need to consult a super-specialist about your child’s ADHD and who should you consult?

Here are the warning signs that something’s wrong with your child’s ADHD diagnosis and that you need more help:

  • Your child’s doctor can’t reasonably explain why your child’s behavior isn’t getting better despite multiple drugs and behavioral therapy
  • Your child’s behavior gets worse despite therapy
  • You suspect your child is really not ADHD, but has suffered ADHD misdiagnosis
  • You can’t communicate with your doctor… your relationship has become strained by the fact that your child isn’t getting better and you’re frustrated!

Don’t despair! Help is available…but I’d like to issue a word of caution:

If you look far and long enough, you will find an expert who will agree with everything you say about whether your child is ADHD or not!  You don’t really want this to happen. You may think you do, but…let me assure you that you will only cause your child more pain and suffering if you bias your existing doctor or the new one you just found.

It is very important that both you and your child’s ADHD doctor be as objective as possible. It’s really the only way that he or she can get a good picture of your child’s behavior and really figure out what is going on.

In my next post, we’ll discuss how to find an ADHD expert… one that is trained to treat ADHD in children, as well as adult ADHD.

Dr. Frank 

Share this:
Share this page via Email Share this page via Stumble Upon Share this page via Digg this Share this page via Facebook Share this page via Twitter
Visit Us On TwitterVisit Us On FacebookVisit Us On YoutubeCheck Our Feed